• January 4, 2018 at 6:46 pm

    @southpaw1188 said:
    Gets Trevor Oaks and Erick Mejia. Both seem meh prospects that are close to their cup of coffee.

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/dodgers-nearing-acquisition-of-scott-alexander-in-3-team-swap-with-royals-white-sox.html

    In other words it was the Dodger’s turn to screw Dayton. Wanna bet Trevor Oaks is Sean O’Sullivan 2.0?

  • January 5, 2018 at 12:53 am

    You weren’t going to get anything for either player.

    This was nothing more than a salary dump.

    You have to afford Hosmer somehow. 🙂

  • January 5, 2018 at 7:26 am

    Addition by subtraction.

  • January 5, 2018 at 12:09 pm

    @royalrich said:
    You weren’t going to get anything for either player.

    Do you mean that you don’t think Alexander could sustain his effectiveness? i.e. that the league would adjust and that he wouldn’t be able to repeat his success?
    What do you think they should have gotten for him if he wasn’t tied into this plot to dump Soria’s salary?

  • January 5, 2018 at 1:00 pm

    Wow, 9 million off the book and He Who Shall not Be Mentioned not entering the game to piss it away!

    Dayton correcting a very grievous wrong in the best way he could. What’s more we get to face him 18 times! That’s worth +2 W at a minimum!

    If you don't have outstanding relief pitching, you might as well piss on the fire and call the dogs.

    Whitey Herzog

  • January 5, 2018 at 1:59 pm

    @gene said:
    Do you mean that you don’t think Alexander could sustain his effectiveness? i.e. that the league would adjust and that he wouldn’t be able to repeat his success?
    What do you think they should have gotten for him if he wasn’t tied into this plot to dump Soria’s salary?

    I am very skeptical of Alexander as well. Rany called him Zack Britton Jr. – which is comical. Alexander has one good year and will be 29 in the middle of next season. Yes, he has a great ground ball rate, which I know is all the rage in the SABR community, but he also had a k/9 under 8, a bb/9 over 3 and a WHIP over 1.30 while putting up a sub 3 ERA. That doesn’t scream sustainability to me.

    Maybe he’s a stud and we’ll regret losing him, but I doubt it.

  • January 5, 2018 at 2:26 pm

    @southpaw1188 said:
    Gets Trevor Oaks and Erick Mejia. Both seem meh prospects that are close to their cup of coffee.

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/dodgers-nearing-acquisition-of-scott-alexander-in-3-team-swap-with-royals-white-sox.html

    Meh prospects from the NL going to the AL and one is a pitcher…what’s the over/under on both of their ML career WAR? I’ll take the under.

    Because Royals™
    2015 GDT record: 5-1

  • January 6, 2018 at 3:11 pm

    @gene said:
    Do you mean that you don’t think Alexander could sustain his effectiveness? i.e. that the league would adjust and that he wouldn’t be able to repeat his success?
    What do you think they should have gotten for him if he wasn’t tied into this plot to dump Soria’s salary?

    Yeah, don’t love Alexander, don’t hate Alexander. I don’t think he fit our youth movement obviously and I don’t think he was worth a ton all by himself. I do think that maybe he would have been worth more had he not been packaged with Soria but I think we had to package something worthwhile with Soria to get anything in return.

    I guess in the end it’s would you have rather kept Soria and just traded Alexander for something a little better or maybe not get quite as much but get rid of Soria and save that cash.

  • January 7, 2018 at 3:14 pm

    @royalrich said: I do think that maybe he would have been worth more had he not been packaged with Soria but I think we had to package something worthwhile with Soria to get anything in return.
    I guess in the end it’s would you have rather kept Soria and just traded Alexander for something a little better or maybe not get quite as much but get rid of Soria and save that cash.

    I heard that the A’s were also interested in Soria. I assume they were thinking of flipping him in July. I guess we will never know what Dayton could have got for Soria by himself.
    Seems a bit crazy to me that $3 million from the Dodgers is so crucial, when at the same time we are offering Hosmer 140 Million.

    Anyway it will be interesting to see how well Alexander does in L.A. You have to believe their analytics department has put Alexander under the microscope.
    btw, there was a good article comparing the Dodger and Rockies approach to bullpen construction.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-dodgers-rockies-bullpen-20180105-story.html