• December 20, 2017 at 7:10 am

Mellinger’s article about the Royals possibly resigning Hoz surprised me. Mainly because it seemed to me that Glass was insisting on cutting expenses.

The notion about offering Hoz an opt out clause after 2 or 3 years is mind boggling to me.

Even Dayton wouldn’t seriously consider this so soon after the foolishness of the Kennedy contract bit him in the ass. Right?

• December 24, 2017 at 12:59 pm

from Olney’s latest;

“Hosmer’s agent, Boras, can wait because the Royals will wait for Hosmer. Whether he’s ready to sign before the new year or in spring training, Kansas City would like Hosmer back as a Tony Gwynn-type legacy anchor, as they go through their next rebuilding cycle.”

Maybe Dayton gets a kickback from Boras

• December 24, 2017 at 3:52 pm

here is hoping….

most mlbtr readers think someone other than the Padres and Royals will swoop in and sign Hoz.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/poll-who-will-sign-eric-hosmer.html

• December 25, 2017 at 11:28 am

Taking a quick break from helping my mother in law with brunch to post. Merry Christmas everyone.

This is what Moore was hoping for: one of the player’s market To collapse and he could get them for “less” than expected. $100/6 isn’t unreasonable for the Royals to pay for Hosmer. All the amateur money has caps now, so really the question is if Glass pockets saved payroll or sets it to save for future spending. I’m skeptical it would go to something other than profit. Won’t hate the deal in the 90-100 range for 6 years so long as there is no no trade clause. Not going to matter much during a rebuild and there are worse things than having a face of the franchise.

• December 26, 2017 at 2:45 pm

@southpaw1188 said:
    Taking a quick break from helping my mother in law with brunch to post. Merry Christmas everyone.

This is what Moore was hoping for: one of the player’s market To collapse and he could get them for “less” than expected. $100/6 isn’t unreasonable for the Royals to pay for Hosmer. All the amateur money has caps now, so really the question is if Glass pockets saved payroll or sets it to save for future spending. I’m skeptical it would go to something other than profit. Won’t hate the deal in the 90-100 range for 6 years so long as there is no no trade clause. Not going to matter much during a rebuild and there are worse things than having a face of the franchise.

You are just trying to bay Rich right?

I hope your mother in law can think of better ways to spend that money. 😀

• December 27, 2017 at 12:34 am

Actually he’s not wrong.

That doesn’t mean I think signing Hosmer is the right move but unless you’re going to suggest that the Glass family is going to hide away all the money they’d save by not doing it and build up a “war chest” full of MILLIONS of dollars they would save over the next 4 to 5 seasons just to then all of a sudden spend it on some 200 million dollar player…. there’s no reason to not spend the money.

Again, that doesn’t mean that I think the right move is signing Hosmer. The right move is doing exactly what I said. Put your payroll at 70 million for 5 years and pocket 150 million over that period to then spend on someone else you wouldn’t and couldn’t otherwise afford. But we know they won’t do that and in fact there are probably very few owners that would look at things that way so that’s an unrealistic desire.

Unfortunately, what I do believe is that if they could possibly sign Hosmer because nobody else wanted him at his asking price… is that they’d see that as a sign that maybe if they just spend a little more money here or a little more money there… that they’d mistakenly believe they can put a contending team on the field and we’d be looking at the next 4 to 5 years of plus or minus a few wins around a .500 team each year which means we’d never get the draft picks we so desperately need.

That’s the real reason I’d say that there’s no sane or logical reason why that money should be spent on a player like him.

• January 3, 2018 at 9:07 am

Rumor has it the Royals have offered Hosmer $147/7. That’s two years too many for me. AAV is little more than I’d like, but not the end of the world.

• January 3, 2018 at 10:53 am

@southpaw1188 said:
    Rumor has it the Royals have offered Hosmer $147/7. That’s two years too many for me. AAV is little more than I’d like, but not the end of the world.

swag coaches are expensive.

• January 4, 2018 at 12:55 pm

@southpaw1188 said:

Rumor has it too that Hosmer’s looking for an 8 year contract, so can’t we just add an option at the end of it for an extra year and call it good? Not that I really even want Hosmer and his mega contract back, but honestly whats the difference going to be between 35 and 36 year old Eric Hosmer

GDT Record: 4-0

• January 5, 2018 at 12:52 am

Again, to make it clear, the “right” move is to just say no. Like I said they’re not going to save the money and if you’re not going to save it why not spend it, it’s not my money, but it’s not the right move.

I’m not amongst the fans that are calling the radio programs and saying the Royals don’t have the money, certainly they have the money. But when you put this money together with the other money that’s still on the books it’s a waste. And if you truly are going to rebuild for even the next 3-4 years that means you’re paying Hosmer through his supposed most productive seasons to play for a crappy club…. and when you assume you’ll be good again, he’ll be 31 or 32.

So what’s the point?

Oh yeah, there is none. Well other than perception and Dayton’s need to say he can do it.

I’m pretty sure I’ve hinted or posted this elsewhere but this is a no lose situation for the Royals. Eric Hosmer and Boras thought he was worth 200 million dollars. He’s not. Nobody thinks he is. In fact other teams that had need of a first baseman have already passed. The market hasn’t come back to the Royals… there NEVER WAS A MARKET. Much like with Alex Gordon.

What this SHOULD tell fans and Dayton is that your players, aren’t as good as you think they are and that YOU value them WAY too much. Way more than other teams do.

Regardless it’s a no lose situation for the Royals because they can say they offered him a fair contract and if he takes it, they spent the money nobody thought they would (and many think they shouldn’t). But if he says not they can say they tried and make him out to look like the bad guy and the Royals as a team that offered the money and didn’t just let the guy walk as they have in the past.

• January 5, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Greetings guys. Back from the birth of my son Brett. I saw the rumors of north of $140m from us and the Pads. I don’t think he’ll get that much as all the big market teams are set. My guess is we don’t top $100 mil for our offer, if that. Personally, as much as I’ve enjoyed him being a Royal, I hope Hoz signs elsewhere. Otherwise, I see him being Greinke #2 in a few years when we haven’t started to compete and forcing our hands on a trade.

Because Royals™
    2015 GDT record: 5-1