• July 8, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I don’t know how many futbal fans we have in the house but if you’re not you just missed one helluva match between 2 powerhouse international teams. Of course Brazil hasn’t been playing like a powerhouse in this tourney and you knew the match was coming where they had to lose and today was the day with Germany just rolling them like they were nothing.

Incredible game.

• July 9, 2014 at 11:48 am

Just a dismantling.

• July 9, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Well.. I had Argentina defeating Germany in the finals so at least I got the 2 competitors correct.

Unfortunately Germany is playing better ball right now although Argentina played tougher competition to get to the final.

It’s going to be a superb match.

• July 9, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Germany is just so controlled and selfless. They look really hard to beat, but the team that has the best player always has a punchers chance.

• July 9, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Messi really hasn’t been playing like the best player through this tourney though. He is still Messi though and you are correct that Germany is playing a team game where nobody is really standing up and being the guy… whereas Argentina is really relying on Messi to be Messi.

Messi is the best player taking the field when they meet, of that there is no doubt. The question is will he play like it and can Argentina overcome the team game that Germany is playing right now.

• July 9, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Because Royals™
    2015 GDT record: 5-1

• July 14, 2014 at 12:22 am

Well that played out pretty much like I think we thought it would in the end.

Messi was contained and the German team game just overwhelmed Argentina. Yes the final score was only 1-0 but Argentina never really posed a threat in the game.

It was a superb tourney and hopefully rejuvenated interest in the sport in America. Here in KC it’s been huge for quite some time now obviously but it seems this tournament captured the public eye unlike any in the past have.

See you in 4 years!

• July 14, 2014 at 8:31 am

This years tournament benefitted from being in close to the same time zone allowing for plenty of office watching. Just like March Madness, passive viewership was enabled by the time slot. Soccer will have a legitimate foothold in this country if the ratings are there (like baseball regular season) when the games are at 2am local for the Russian event.

Olberman had an interesting take on soccer that made deadspin awhile back if you haven’t seen it.

• July 14, 2014 at 10:58 am

I’ve always enjoyed the women more, even though I find the sport boring for the most part. The women are less of actors than the men, plus I enjoy watching Alex Morgan, I mean the US women’s team. 😉

Just making a general soccer statement

GDT Record: 4-0

• July 14, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Who doesn’t enjoy watching Alex Morgan…. wow.