I don’t know how many futbal fans we have in the house but if you’re not you just missed one helluva match between 2 powerhouse international teams. Of course Brazil hasn’t been playing like a powerhouse in this tourney and you knew the match was coming where they had to lose and today was the day with Germany just rolling them like they were nothing.
Just a dismantling.
Well.. I had Argentina defeating Germany in the finals so at least I got the 2 competitors correct.
Unfortunately Germany is playing better ball right now although Argentina played tougher competition to get to the final.
It’s going to be a superb match.
Germany is just so controlled and selfless. They look really hard to beat, but the team that has the best player always has a punchers chance.
Messi really hasn’t been playing like the best player through this tourney though. He is still Messi though and you are correct that Germany is playing a team game where nobody is really standing up and being the guy… whereas Argentina is really relying on Messi to be Messi.
Messi is the best player taking the field when they meet, of that there is no doubt. The question is will he play like it and can Argentina overcome the team game that Germany is playing right now.
2015 GDT record: 5-1
Well that played out pretty much like I think we thought it would in the end.
Messi was contained and the German team game just overwhelmed Argentina. Yes the final score was only 1-0 but Argentina never really posed a threat in the game.
It was a superb tourney and hopefully rejuvenated interest in the sport in America. Here in KC it’s been huge for quite some time now obviously but it seems this tournament captured the public eye unlike any in the past have.
See you in 4 years!
This years tournament benefitted from being in close to the same time zone allowing for plenty of office watching. Just like March Madness, passive viewership was enabled by the time slot. Soccer will have a legitimate foothold in this country if the ratings are there (like baseball regular season) when the games are at 2am local for the Russian event.
Olberman had an interesting take on soccer that made deadspin awhile back if you haven’t seen it.
I’ve always enjoyed the women more, even though I find the sport boring for the most part. The women are less of actors than the men, plus I enjoy watching Alex Morgan, I mean the US women’s team. 😉
Just making a general soccer statement
GDT Record: 4-0
Who doesn’t enjoy watching Alex Morgan…. wow.
Germany slaughters Brazil
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
- Barry Bonds’ 756th HR ball as displayed with asterisk in the Hall of Fame
- [Reds] Top Prospect Nick Senzel will have season-ending surgery on Tuesday to repair a torn tendon in his right index finger after suffering the injury last night
- [General Discussion] Around the Horn - 6/23/18
- This little guy at the Reds game wouldn’t throw out the first pitch until he was on the mound
- MadBum's MLB-leading active streak
- Chris Davis has been intentionally walked
- Josh Hader enters the game in the 6th inning, strikes out the side. He now has 80ks in 39 2/3 innings.
- Jesus Aguilar breaks up no-hitter with home run in the 7th, then walks off with home run in 9th
- [Fletcher] BREAKING: Andrelton Simmons struck out. The streak ends at 90 PAs. It's his 11th strikeout of the season.
- Braves allow 6 runs in the top of the ninth to blow a 3-1 lead; proceed to score 4 to tie the game at 7.
- Teams are 409-20 when leading by 5+ runs at any point in a game. The Mariners have now lost 2 such games in their last 3.
- Steven Wright is the first starting pitcher since 2009 to give up 10+ runs and not be charged with a loss.
- Boston scores 5 runs in the 7th, now lead the Mariners by a score of 14-10
- The reds have won 5 straight
- Chris Davis rejoins starting lineup after sitting the last 8 games and doesn't waste time showing a crowd in Atlanta his dong