I don’t know how many futbal fans we have in the house but if you’re not you just missed one helluva match between 2 powerhouse international teams. Of course Brazil hasn’t been playing like a powerhouse in this tourney and you knew the match was coming where they had to lose and today was the day with Germany just rolling them like they were nothing.
Just a dismantling.
Well.. I had Argentina defeating Germany in the finals so at least I got the 2 competitors correct.
Unfortunately Germany is playing better ball right now although Argentina played tougher competition to get to the final.
It’s going to be a superb match.
Germany is just so controlled and selfless. They look really hard to beat, but the team that has the best player always has a punchers chance.
Messi really hasn’t been playing like the best player through this tourney though. He is still Messi though and you are correct that Germany is playing a team game where nobody is really standing up and being the guy… whereas Argentina is really relying on Messi to be Messi.
Messi is the best player taking the field when they meet, of that there is no doubt. The question is will he play like it and can Argentina overcome the team game that Germany is playing right now.
2015 GDT record: 5-1
Well that played out pretty much like I think we thought it would in the end.
Messi was contained and the German team game just overwhelmed Argentina. Yes the final score was only 1-0 but Argentina never really posed a threat in the game.
It was a superb tourney and hopefully rejuvenated interest in the sport in America. Here in KC it’s been huge for quite some time now obviously but it seems this tournament captured the public eye unlike any in the past have.
See you in 4 years!
This years tournament benefitted from being in close to the same time zone allowing for plenty of office watching. Just like March Madness, passive viewership was enabled by the time slot. Soccer will have a legitimate foothold in this country if the ratings are there (like baseball regular season) when the games are at 2am local for the Russian event.
Olberman had an interesting take on soccer that made deadspin awhile back if you haven’t seen it.
I’ve always enjoyed the women more, even though I find the sport boring for the most part. The women are less of actors than the men, plus I enjoy watching Alex Morgan, I mean the US women’s team. 😉
Just making a general soccer statement
GDT Record: 4-0
Who doesn’t enjoy watching Alex Morgan…. wow.
Germany slaughters Brazil
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
- Brewers announce PDC with the San Antonio Missions
- The AA farm team for the Angels is moving to a new home in 2020, at which point they will be renamed to The Rocket City Trash Pandas.
- Baltimore Orioles will be wearing Braille-lettering jersey today to support NFB (National Federation for the Blind)
- A league of their own: How First Nations in northern Ontario strengthen community through baseball
- Yankees Select Justus Sheffield, Move Clint Frazier To 60-Day DL
- Ichiro wants to see Ohtani wins cy young and becomes a home run leader
- [Ted Berg] There are only eight position players in MLB history with at least five seasons of 9+ WAR. They are: Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Rogers Hornsby, Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig, and Mike Trout. Mike Trout is 27 years old.
- [General Discussion] Around the Horn - 9/18/18
- /r/baseball Players of the Week - Week 24: Dodgers' Yasiel "#PuigYourFriend" Puig cranks out 5 home runs over two games with a 1.690 OPS, Justin Verlander strikes out 21 over two brilliant starts, and Yankees' slugger Didi Gregious drives in 10 with a solid week at the plate!
- [NPB on Reddit] Report that quotes Forbes saying Shohei Ohtani might be seeking a second opinion on his right elbow from a hospital in Japan that contracts with the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters.
- Contreras throws out Goldschmidt trying to steal 2nd to end the ballgame
- Kyle Hendricks final line vs. ARI: 8.2IP, 3H, 1R, 1ER, 8K, 1BB, 109 pitches
- Hyun Jin Ryu's final line: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 5K, 0BB, 0 ER
- [Pirates] Tonight, a pregame moment of silence for Pittsburgh’s own, Mac Miller.
- Edwin Diaz clinches more saves than the Orioles have wins