I don’t know how many futbal fans we have in the house but if you’re not you just missed one helluva match between 2 powerhouse international teams. Of course Brazil hasn’t been playing like a powerhouse in this tourney and you knew the match was coming where they had to lose and today was the day with Germany just rolling them like they were nothing.
Just a dismantling.
Well.. I had Argentina defeating Germany in the finals so at least I got the 2 competitors correct.
Unfortunately Germany is playing better ball right now although Argentina played tougher competition to get to the final.
It’s going to be a superb match.
Germany is just so controlled and selfless. They look really hard to beat, but the team that has the best player always has a punchers chance.
Messi really hasn’t been playing like the best player through this tourney though. He is still Messi though and you are correct that Germany is playing a team game where nobody is really standing up and being the guy… whereas Argentina is really relying on Messi to be Messi.
Messi is the best player taking the field when they meet, of that there is no doubt. The question is will he play like it and can Argentina overcome the team game that Germany is playing right now.
2015 GDT record: 5-1
Well that played out pretty much like I think we thought it would in the end.
Messi was contained and the German team game just overwhelmed Argentina. Yes the final score was only 1-0 but Argentina never really posed a threat in the game.
It was a superb tourney and hopefully rejuvenated interest in the sport in America. Here in KC it’s been huge for quite some time now obviously but it seems this tournament captured the public eye unlike any in the past have.
See you in 4 years!
This years tournament benefitted from being in close to the same time zone allowing for plenty of office watching. Just like March Madness, passive viewership was enabled by the time slot. Soccer will have a legitimate foothold in this country if the ratings are there (like baseball regular season) when the games are at 2am local for the Russian event.
Olberman had an interesting take on soccer that made deadspin awhile back if you haven’t seen it.
I’ve always enjoyed the women more, even though I find the sport boring for the most part. The women are less of actors than the men, plus I enjoy watching Alex Morgan, I mean the US women’s team. 😉
Just making a general soccer statement
GDT Record: 4-0
Who doesn’t enjoy watching Alex Morgan…. wow.
Germany slaughters Brazil
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
- What are some strange off-the-field injuries?
- [MLB Pipeline]The Marlins are asking for a lot in return for Christian Yelich. Peter Gammons says the club has asked the Braves for Ronald Acuna.
- In 2006, Albert Pujols was the most valuable player according to WAR, with 8.1. In 2017, he was the least valuable at -2.0. Has any other player been both in one career?
- The Cubs and Astros rebuild/tank both worked. Which current rebuilding team will be the first to fail?
- New Phillies manager Gabe Kapler explains what is going to lead to a “shitload” of wins
- Are the Detroit Tigers the worst team in MLB? Bleacher Report says yes
- Ichiro the past 2 years in high leverage situations (60 PA): .442/.500/.558
- [Sullivan] The Gerrit Cole Trade Has a Perception Problem
- A gift from my insurance agent - Texas Rangers opening week tickets.
- [Crasnick] An update to this Christian Yelich story: Yelich's agent says he hasn't decided whether to attend FanFest Feb. 10. A #Marlins official said FanFest attendance is mandatory, and players who don't attend are subject to being fined by the club.
- (Heyman) Jay Bruce: 3M signing bonus 1.5 on 1/31/19, 1.5 1/31/20, 10M in ‘18, 13M in ‘19, 13M in ‘20. No performance incentives. Awards bonuses including 125K for MVP, 100K for WS MVP. #mets
- Blue Jays farm hands visited my kid's special needs school yesterday. Thought I would share with /r/baseball
- [Olney] Source: Boston's offer to J.D. Martinez is in the range of five years, $100 million.
- Hall of Fame Discussion: Jim Thome
- [Thibodaux] With 187 ballots revealed/~44.1% of the vote known: Chipper - 98%, Vlad - 95%, Thome - 93%, Edgar 80%, and Hoffman - 78% would make the HOF