I don’t know how many futbal fans we have in the house but if you’re not you just missed one helluva match between 2 powerhouse international teams. Of course Brazil hasn’t been playing like a powerhouse in this tourney and you knew the match was coming where they had to lose and today was the day with Germany just rolling them like they were nothing.
Just a dismantling.
Well.. I had Argentina defeating Germany in the finals so at least I got the 2 competitors correct.
Unfortunately Germany is playing better ball right now although Argentina played tougher competition to get to the final.
It’s going to be a superb match.
Germany is just so controlled and selfless. They look really hard to beat, but the team that has the best player always has a punchers chance.
Messi really hasn’t been playing like the best player through this tourney though. He is still Messi though and you are correct that Germany is playing a team game where nobody is really standing up and being the guy… whereas Argentina is really relying on Messi to be Messi.
Messi is the best player taking the field when they meet, of that there is no doubt. The question is will he play like it and can Argentina overcome the team game that Germany is playing right now.
2015 GDT record: 5-1
Well that played out pretty much like I think we thought it would in the end.
Messi was contained and the German team game just overwhelmed Argentina. Yes the final score was only 1-0 but Argentina never really posed a threat in the game.
It was a superb tourney and hopefully rejuvenated interest in the sport in America. Here in KC it’s been huge for quite some time now obviously but it seems this tournament captured the public eye unlike any in the past have.
See you in 4 years!
This years tournament benefitted from being in close to the same time zone allowing for plenty of office watching. Just like March Madness, passive viewership was enabled by the time slot. Soccer will have a legitimate foothold in this country if the ratings are there (like baseball regular season) when the games are at 2am local for the Russian event.
Olberman had an interesting take on soccer that made deadspin awhile back if you haven’t seen it.
I’ve always enjoyed the women more, even though I find the sport boring for the most part. The women are less of actors than the men, plus I enjoy watching Alex Morgan, I mean the US women’s team. 😉
Just making a general soccer statement
GDT Record: 4-0
Who doesn’t enjoy watching Alex Morgan…. wow.
Germany slaughters Brazil
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
- [Madani] John Gibbons makes it official. The Blue Jays starting rotation will be: J.A. Happ (opening day starter), Aaron Sanchez, Marco Estrada, Marcus Stroman, Jaime Garcia
- [Sawchik] 2018 Positional Power Rankings: First Base
- Anyone know of any good YouTube Channels for young baseball players?
- Can my grandparents watch every Rangers game via streaming?
- Confused about roster moves? MLB has a very helpful and understandable glossary of transaction terms.
- [General Discussion] Around the Horn - 3/20/18
- Kris Bryant wants to be Cubs’ player rep, vows to “fight” for next collective bargaining agreement.
- Justin Turner still being a fan favorite just hours after breaking his wrist (Twitter Link)
- Dee Gordon throws out Justin Upton at home
- [Shaikin] Justin Turner: broken wrist.
- [Brandon McCarthy] I understand the reasoning behind service time manipulation. But in the era of two wild cards, it no longer makes as much sense for a large portion of the league's fans to be cool with it happening.
- During 2016 and 17, there were 23 times batters hit less than .250 and more than 30 HR, the same amount in the 30 years from 1952-1982.
- [Cotillo]Source: Mariners and Royals have made a trade. RHP Ashton Goudeau headed to Seattle. Could be a minor deal.
- I love Mariano Rivera postseason stats, so I thought I'd share some here
- (Rizzo) Justin Turner just got drilled in his left hand & he’s on the ground in visible pain.