• July 13, 2018 at 5:37 am

Got a cynical chuckle out of this mlb graphic about Royal’s post-season chances in 2018. (cant link directly you have to scoll to al central chart)

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/probability.jsp?ymd=20180712

Like most baseball owners Glass is counting on fan addition

Greatest unjustness this year seems to be the A’s. Playing great but in the wrong division. They would top the bullshit division that the Royals play in.

• July 14, 2018 at 12:23 am

But but… the A’s suck. The Royals are better. The Royals have been to the World Series more recently. We’re just better… waaaaaaah.

The A’s almost always consistently play good baseball. Yeah, they haven’t been to the World Series since 1990 but they’ve been to the playoffs 9 times since then and 8 time since 2000. In fact they’ve only lost 90 games twice in that period of time as well… and that’s been in the last few years.

Give me that. Seriously. Just give me that. Nope, they haven’t made the World Series but they’ve had FAR more chances to go than Dayton Moore ever will. Quote me on it.

I absolutely fucking dare someone to bet me on it.

It’s just the pure stupidity of KC Royals fans to think that Dayton is some magical genius that has all the answers with the way he runs this club. They were lucky – I said it LUCKY – the 2 years they went… and there’s absolutely no denying in 2014 it was pure luck… but I seriously doubt that Dayton can pull that rabbit out of his hat again with the way the sport has changed over the past few years. He has run this team into the ground, this is his fault. And it will be YEARS to recover from it.

• July 14, 2018 at 12:38 am

The only saving grace to the KC Royals is that we probably play in the most ridiculously stupidly pathetic division in baseball.

The Tigers may never be good again, seriously. They’re horrible.

The Twins can’t seem to pull their head out of their ass.

The Indians could be good… but probably not for very long.

And the White Sox just suck. They have some good players but they suck.

For several years now (including when we won the World Series) it’s been who is the best of a bunch of crappy ball clubs. Who wants to win this year….. maybe nobody. Always seems to be nobody.

You put any of these teams in the AL East or AL West and our best team is probably last or next to last each and every season.

• July 14, 2018 at 7:58 pm

This year I have been watching and rooting for both Oakland and the Brewers.
    It has been fun because both teams are playing good ball, and their fan bases are fired up, just like ours was back in 2015
    I don’t know if A’s can sustain the pace they are on but if they do, and they can’t overtake the M’s it would be a shame.
    I would love to see baseball either get rid of these small 5 team divisions, or stop guaranteeing a ALDS playoff spot to each division “champion”. It is beyond ridiculous that the Yankees or Redsox get a wild card win or go home when a team like the Indians waltz to a 5 game series.
    Maybe the KC administration loves being in the brand x division but I can’t believe too many Royals fans like seeing crappy teams 19 times per year.

• July 14, 2018 at 10:43 pm

@gene said:
    This year I have been watching and rooting for both Oakland and the Brewers.
    It has been fun because both teams are playing good ball, and their fan bases are fired up, just like ours was back in 2015
    I don’t know if A’s can sustain the pace they are on but if they do, and they can’t overtake the M’s it would be a shame.
    I would love to see baseball either get rid of these small 5 team divisions, or stop guaranteeing a ALDS playoff spot to each division “champion”. It is beyond ridiculous that the Yankees or Redsox get a wild card win or go home when a team like the Indians waltz to a 5 game series.
    Maybe the KC administration loves being in the brand x division but I can’t believe too many Royals fans like seeing crappy teams 19 times per year.

I don’t think most Royals “fans” care about the division or really know how historically bad it is. Our fanbase (term used very loosely) isn’t very smart. IMO the years of losing turned it into what it is now. In other words I agree with Rich when he describes how he vast majority of our fan base are uneducated.

Speaking of incompentence, we have a perfect example of it today when the Cardnials fired Matheny when they are 47-46 and we are 27-67 and haven’t heard shit from KC about Ned or Dayton. The expectations and accoutablity are a joke with this franchise.

• July 16, 2018 at 2:00 am

Excellent point afroyal. I was going to reference Matheny as well.

He was in charge of the Cards 7 seasons and had a 591-473 record and made the postseason 4 times, losing the World Series once. They haven’t been to the playoffs the past 2 years and it’s been since 1997-1999 that the team has gone 3 straight years without being in the postseason (just think how crazy that is as a Royals fan).

And they fire him.

They’re 47-46 and upper management doesn’t like the direction the team is taking so they fire a winning manager. We sit here and watch this crap that is Royals management and people in KC are just more than happy to point to ONE WORLD SERIES VICTORY and 3 winning seasons out of 12 years and tell you that Dayton is the best GM in the game and Ned Yost is the best manager.

I go back to the fact that Dayton is the 3rd highest tenured General Manager in the game… and that many others with better records have been fired from better teams. But not here. Not us.

Trust the process.

• July 16, 2018 at 5:42 pm

So the Matheny firing had little to do with performance on the field and a whole lot more to do with culture in the clubhouse. (See how Hicks and Folwer have been treated.) That is something the manager should get fired over.

Ned sucks, but why fire him now? Someone has to coach this sinking ship until the end of the year. His contract is up then. Make him ride this turd out. Don’t pay him by firing him and then pay someone else as well to lose. Ned is perfectly capable of losing games for this franchise. Don’t take him away now when his skills now line up with the mission of the team.

The AL Central has been bad at times (in particular now), but you are being hyperbolic. The Indians were 22-12 vs. the East and 24-8 vs. the West last year. Year prior they were .500. We were 38-28 against other divisions in 2015. In fact, in 2015 three of the five central teams had winning records against other AL teams.

Also, the As had a four team division until 2013 during the Beane years. That’s easier to win than a five team division.

• July 16, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Yes I’m aware that Matheny got fired more for losing the clubhouse than anything else, it pretty much started last season. Still he’s a winning manager that put his team in the postseason 4 straight years – up until the last 2 – and they’re sitting at .500 right now. Granted, I tend to agree with you that once the clubhouse is lost, you need to go, but are we seriously looking at this team right now and thinking that Ned Yost has the clubhouse or the pulse of this team anyway? If nothing else firing him would send a message. Keeping him just to keep him doesn’t make much sense to me. Although obviously I’m more for firing Dayton than I am Ned. Of course bringing in a new General Manager would be the end of Ned also… so there is that.

When you talk about how the AL Central did vs the other divisions in a particular year it’s a small sample size. Granted the Indians have been fine at times but you bring up the Royals in 2015 and yes we beat up on some pretty bad teams but we were 3-4 vs Toronto and 2-4 vs the Yankees – the 2 top teams in the AL East (we were even 3-4 vs the Red Sox who finished last). We were also 2-4 vs the Astros and 3-4 vs Texas – the top 2 teams in the AL West. So no, we weren’t good. We had a losing record against every single other top team in the other 2 divisions. What we did do was beat the crap out of the Twins (12-7) in our own division, which is why we won.

I don’t buy for a second that you actually believe that if we were in the AL East or West in 2015 that we get a playoff spot, because we wouldn’t have.

• July 28, 2018 at 8:42 am

So does anyone know if either of the guys that we got from the Brewers for Moose are or have the potential to be any good?

• July 29, 2018 at 3:42 am

@afroyal said:
    So does anyone know if either of the guys that we got from the Brewers for Moose are or have the potential to be any good?

The answer to your question is sure… but also depends on what you think “any good” means.

Lopez has a very live arm but the problem is he has a hard time placing the ball. And honestly for as good as his arm is he really doesn’t strike guys out… and like I said his walk ratio is horrid. My biggest concern with him is much like Davis, he was a starter in the minors until they converted him to reliever because he.. sucked. He’s actually been okay for the most part as a reliever despite having a really bad strikeout to walk ratio. So take that for a grain of salt. I really wonder if Dayton has designs on trying him as a starter. He’s also 25 and doesn’t really have a ton of major league experience so that sort of talks to the sort of “prospect” that he really is.

Phillips on the other hand does intrigue me. I was high on him several years ago and he put together some really good minor league seasons. 2014 and 2015 in particular he slashed .310/.376/.528. Then he dropped off horribly in 2016 but was good again last year before being horrible again this year… which is why he was no longer considered a top 100 prospect. He’s a guy that has a really good eye and decent pop and he actually has decent speed so he’s the athletic type that Dayton likes. My question with him – much like with Lopez – is he’s 24 now and just hasn’t got the chance really to prove what he can do at this level and for the type of prospect he was… he should have really been up here by now.

But if nothing else, since you asked opinions… I did really like Phillips at one time, so I can’t be mad we got him.

Was it enough for Moose? I don’t know what else you could have got. I don’t hate the deal, I don’t love the deal. I think the market for Moose just hasn’t been there because of every rumor that’s swirled around him for being a little bit of a cancer in the clubhouse and probably not in really great shape.

Would I have wanted more and think we should have got more, maybe. But I don’t think we got absolutely screwed either.

• July 29, 2018 at 9:19 am

@royalrich said:
    The answer to your question is sure… but also depends on what you think “any good” means.

Lopez has a very live arm but the problem is he has a hard time placing the ball. And honestly for as good as his arm is he really doesn’t strike guys out… and like I said his walk ratio is horrid. My biggest concern with him is much like Davis, he was a starter in the minors until they converted him to reliever because he.. sucked. He’s actually been okay for the most part as a reliever despite having a really bad strikeout to walk ratio. So take that for a grain of salt. I really wonder if Dayton has designs on trying him as a starter. He’s also 25 and doesn’t really have a ton of major league experience so that sort of talks to the sort of “prospect” that he really is.

Phillips on the other hand does intrigue me. I was high on him several years ago and he put together some really good minor league seasons. 2014 and 2015 in particular he slashed .310/.376/.528. Then he dropped off horribly in 2016 but was good again last year before being horrible again this year… which is why he was no longer considered a top 100 prospect. He’s a guy that has a really good eye and decent pop and he actually has decent speed so he’s the athletic type that Dayton likes. My question with him – much like with Lopez – is he’s 24 now and just hasn’t got the chance really to prove what he can do at this level and for the type of prospect he was… he should have really been up here by now.

But if nothing else, since you asked opinions… I did really like Phillips at one time, so I can’t be mad we got him.

Was it enough for Moose? I don’t know what else you could have got. I don’t hate the deal, I don’t love the deal. I think the market for Moose just hasn’t been there because of every rumor that’s swirled around him for being a little bit of a cancer in the clubhouse and probably not in really great shape.

Would I have wanted more and think we should have got more, maybe. But I don’t think we got absolutely screwed either.

Thanks Rich for the analysis of them. I don’t have the time nor the desire to follow guys in the minors. It is hard enough to follow the games over here anyway, so I really appreciate the response.

• July 29, 2018 at 11:27 pm

No problem. Always like talking minor league prospects even though things can change in an instant with them. And I’m certainly never one to shy away from my opinions.

🙂