• December 30, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Interesting note from MLBTR about Royals replacing Esky with Lovechild.
    Don’t know if the writer has any inside info on Royals moving on from Esky but I expect Dayton to at least try to re-sign him. I also expect Ned to play him.

“Royals (Shortstop, -0.2 bWAR): Alcides Escobar’s glove has always bailed out his subpar bat, though since his fielding was only decent in 2017, it led to an overall poor season for the veteran and it gave K.C. the lowest bWAR total of any team at shortstop. With Escobar now a free agent, the Royals will go with young Raul Mondesi Jr. as their new shortstop. Mondesi may be able to top Escobar’s bWAR based on defense alone in 2018, and his impressive Triple-A numbers suggest a lot of upside at the plate.”

• December 30, 2017 at 8:38 pm

I’d offer two times the major league minimum and make it an incentive laden contract offer for Esky. If he takes it, good deal. If he doesn’t, roll with Mondesi.

Because Royals™
    2015 GDT record: 5-1

• December 31, 2017 at 6:32 am

@bojacked85 said:
    I’d offer two times the major league minimum and make it an incentive laden contract offer for Esky. If he takes it, good deal. If he doesn’t, roll with Mondesi.

Where would you play him?

Can you see him sitting in the dugout nibbling on his nails 75-80% of the games?

• December 31, 2017 at 11:27 pm

@gene said:
    Where would you play him?

Can you see him sitting in the dugout nibbling on his nails 75-80% of the games?

For 2x the major league minimum, I could live with that having him be the backup middle infielder. Hell, I’d give him a crack at starting 2B if we end up having to use Whit in the OF this season or if Mondesi truly does go to CF.

Because Royals™
    2015 GDT record: 5-1