• December 8, 2017 at 9:57 am

@thedh said:
    Long time no talk boys. Doesn’t any real rebuild plan start with trading Salvy and Duffy at some point this season, pick up 3 draft picks for our FA’s, slay the June draft, and hope for a new window in 2020?

Blast from the past!

I think they believe the fix is only a couple years so maybe those guys still have value.

Also, they have future years where markets might yield more (or less) for this guys so probably need to be wowed to part ways this offseason.

• December 11, 2017 at 1:05 am

I think a total rebuild does include them in fact Dayton sort of eluded to that, but that doesn’t really mean anything. I honestly don’t think he has a total rebuild in mind or in his heart.

• December 11, 2017 at 10:46 am

You could sign a Logan Morrison and a Jon Jay and roll with:

CF) Jay
    LF) Gordon
    2B) Merrifield
    1B) Morrison
    C) Perez
    DH) Moss or another guy
    RF) Soler or Bonifacio
    3B) Cuthbert
    SS) Mondesi

Duffy, Kennedy, Karns (maybe), Junis, Hammel.

That smells like an 75 win team to me but Moore might think it is an 85 win wild-card team.

OR….we can nuke it from space. Trade Duffy, trade Salvy, trade Merrifield, no FA signings. Start to reload the farm system and roll with this:

SS) Mondesi
    3B) Cuthbert
    LF) Bonifacio
    DH) Moss
    RF) Soler
    CF) Gordon
    C) Butera
    1B) O’Hearn (if he survives the rule 5)
    2B) Torres

Kennedy, Karns, Hammel, Junis, Skogland.

That smells like a 65 win team (or worse). But it gives us flexibility for as soon as 2019 if we get a few surprises like Soler, Mondesi, or Karns stepping up in a big way.

Me? I blow it up.

First Royalboarder to call for Dayton Moore to be fired. 4/29/2010.

First RBNer to call for Dayton Moore to be fired. 6/20/2014

• December 11, 2017 at 1:36 pm

You blow it up if you like the return. Until then, being desperate to sell brings back less value than you would have otherwise.

• January 2, 2018 at 12:25 pm

looking long term who are future stars?

In recent article Flannigan mentioned 4 guys;

“first baseman Nick Pratto, outfielder Khalil Lee, catcher MJ Melendez and outfielder Michael Gigliotti.”

I don’t follow the lower levels well at all so I am asking for opinions. Are these the best we got? Are they impact or all star level players?

https://www.mlb.com/royals/news/dayton-moore-royals-rebuilding-in-2018/c-263677784

• January 2, 2018 at 1:05 pm

@gene said:
    looking long term who are future stars?

In recent article Flannigan mentioned 4 guys;

“first baseman Nick Pratto, outfielder Khalil Lee, catcher MJ Melendez and outfielder Michael Gigliotti.”

I don’t follow the lower levels well at all so I am asking for opinions. Are these the best we got? Are they impact or all star level players?

https://www.mlb.com/royals/news/dayton-moore-royals-rebuilding-in-2018/c-263677784

Pratto is the only one of those four that I feel comfortable saying will be an MLB player. Melendez being a catcher has an easier track. Gigliotti has tore up rookie and A ball, he should probably start the year in Arkansas. Lee is nothing short of a lottery ticket at this point. Another name to add would probably be Nicky Lopez who’s surprised some people. Pratto is probably the all star level one, Gigliotti could be too I guess if you like to dream. I don’t see the rest of them being all that special, but that’s what we got. This group doesn’t hold a candle to what we had when we were heralded as having the best farm system.

One thing to keep in mind is that we had (I think) one team in our entire system have a winning season last year. This isn’t just an MLB rebuild, it is an entire system rebuild

GDT Record: 4-0