• May 1, 2017 at 7:03 am

It’s already allegedly been hinted by some in the know that Dayton has zero interest in a full rebuild or going back to being a sub .500 team and certainly doesn’t want to do what the Astros did and mail it in for several years to get good picks again. He wants to maintain competitiveness and that’s why he’s signed some guys to longer term contracts so that he has his veterans around and thinks he can continue to sign free agents and maintain some semblance of winning.

I personally think he’s lost his mind, but then again I never thought he had much of one anyway.

I mean if you look at it, you’ve got Gordon and Soler in the outfield. You’ve got some combination of Mondesi, Cuthbert, Dozier, Whitt and Perez in the infield. You’ve got Moss for a couple of years. You’ve got Kennedy and Duffy and you’d assume you can keep Vargas.

He’s looking at that and going “IF I can just fill in here or there at least I still have a core group of guys that can win”.

He’s wrong but then again he’s frequently wrong.

• May 1, 2017 at 7:38 am

Moore doesn’t want to tank. There are some players that will be around that aren’t awful and might make tanking tough. There are also going to be enough holes that he might not have a choice.

Also, the idea that you need to not lose fan loyalty is code for ticket sales, not brand. Winning teams fill stadiums. Losing teams,with rare exceptions, won’t. The front office only cares about the ticket sales.

• May 1, 2017 at 10:34 am

@southpaw1188 said:
    The front office only cares about the ticket sales.

I think the value of that Fox Sports cable contract is also uppermost in thier minds as they approach this transition.

• May 1, 2017 at 7:39 pm

If they tank, they can’t keep selling tickets at these prices. The K would be a ghost town.

• May 2, 2017 at 7:08 am

@royalrich said:
    …….if you look at it, you’ve got Gordon and Soler in the outfield. You’ve got some combination of Mondesi, Cuthbert, Dozier, Whitt and Perez in the infield. You’ve got Moss for a couple of years. You’ve got Kennedy and Duffy and you’d assume you can keep Vargas. He’s looking at that and going “IF I can just fill in here or there at least I still have a core group of guys that can win”. He’s wrong but then again he’s frequently wrong.

I would think that you are right about how he is thinking about it right now.
    He might change his mind if we keep losing and looking up at everybody in the AL Central all spring and summer.
    Doubt must have crept into his dome as that losing streak went on.

He also has to be doubting the decisions to sign Gordon, Moss, Hammel and Wood.

Seems to me that being in the Central can skew perceptions about the skills of individual players and perhaps even the relative stregnth of the team as a whole.

• May 2, 2017 at 5:01 pm

@gene said:

Seems to me that being in the Central can skew perceptions about the skills of individual players and perhaps even the relative stregnth of the team as a whole.

But it’s been that way for quite some time which most KC fans and honestly some of you on here don’t acknowledge or realize. Last year 4 teams in the AL East were over .500 for the season. Only 2 were in the AL Central (and AL West to be truthful).

In 2015 there were 4 teams in the AL East again within 2 games of being at least .500… whereas in the Central our 2nd best team was only 83-79.

2013 and 2014 were much better with 3 teams from the Central being competitive but look at 2012 where 3 teams in the AL East alone won more than 90 games and 2 in the West did with the 3rd winning 89.

The AL Central has pretty much always been the weak division in the American League and it’s damn lucky that we play here because if we were in the AL East or in most years in the AL West… we’d rarely ever sniff the playoffs (not like in the past 30+ years we have a whole bunch anyway which is even more an indictment on how bad this team has been).

I still contend – which you all can argue all you want – that if we weren’t in the AL Central in 2014 and 2015… we probably don’t make the playoffs. But you beat who you play, it’s always been that way. I love this team but I’m not like most of you and I’m not like most fans. I separate myself from being a fan when I’m evaluating things. I can look at this team and see the flaws even when I go out to the stadium multiple times a year and cheer as loudly as everybody else does. I buy all the World Series gear and was in line at midnight in 2015 with hundreds of others… but at the same time I can look at them and understand that we were honestly pretty damn lucky.

I’m the one that back in 1997 begged this team to move to the NL because I felt it was the best move for them at the time and still feel that way. But I’m also the one that looks at them right now and going forward and sees all the issues they’re going to have in remaining competitive because of the nature of Dayton Moore to not be honest about where the team is.

• May 3, 2017 at 2:08 pm

@royalrich said:
    For a team that’s desperate to win? Probably. Hell I’d ask for Robles and either Fedde or AJ Cole myself. The bigger question would be if they’re comfortable with Michael Taylor in center and they’re probably not which I think forces them to do some deal.

Here’s my honest assessment. I don’t think Herrera gets Robles alone… but I also think that Herrera and Cain are too much for Robles. It all depends on how much they like Taylor and how desperate they are.

Steve Adams had a go at the Herrera rumours the other day;
    Q “Can the Nationals get Cain from the Royals? Great fit with Eaton out for the year and Cain only signed though October.”

A: “Sure, once the Royals become more open to listening on their players. They’re not there yet, but I can’t see that team recovering, either. Cain+Herrera to the Nats makes a lot of sense. Nationals won’t want to give up Victor Robles, but they have lots of MLB-ready starting pitching — Cole, Voth, maybe even Joe Ross — plus, of course, other prospects beyond Robles.”

• May 3, 2017 at 11:48 pm

@gene said:
    Steve Adams had a go at the Herrera rumours the other day;
    Q “Can the Nationals get Cain from the Royals? Great fit with Eaton out for the year and Cain only signed though October.”

A: “Sure, once the Royals become more open to listening on their players. They’re not there yet, but I can’t see that team recovering, either. Cain+Herrera to the Nats makes a lot of sense. Nationals won’t want to give up Victor Robles, but they have lots of MLB-ready starting pitching — Cole, Voth, maybe even Joe Ross — plus, of course, other prospects beyond Robles.”

No, you give us Robles or we’ll go to a competitor and give them Cain and Herrera, simple as that. Unless you want to go crazy and give us Ross, Fedde, Cole, Voth and maybe a couple of others. Yes they have a lot of prospects, doesn’t mean all of them are that good. Robles is the star amongst them. Fedde is probably the next best. Voth and Cole are older prospects that can’t break the majors and that would concern me a little even though their starting staff is stacked. Even Ross doesn’t necessarily excite me all that much.

• May 4, 2017 at 1:45 pm

@royalrich said:
    But it’s been that way for quite some time which most KC fans and honestly some of you on here don’t acknowledge or realize. Last year 4 teams in the AL East were over .500 for the season. Only 2 were in the AL Central (and AL West to be truthful).

In 2015 there were 4 teams in the AL East again within 2 games of being at least .500… whereas in the Central our 2nd best team was only 83-79.

2013 and 2014 were much better with 3 teams from the Central being competitive but look at 2012 where 3 teams in the AL East alone won more than 90 games and 2 in the West did with the 3rd winning 89.

The AL Central has pretty much always been the weak division in the American League and it’s damn lucky that we play here because if we were in the AL East or in most years in the AL West… we’d rarely ever sniff the playoffs (not like in the past 30+ years we have a whole bunch anyway which is even more an indictment on how bad this team has been).

I still contend – which you all can argue all you want – that if we weren’t in the AL Central in 2014 and 2015… we probably don’t make the playoffs. But you beat who you play, it’s always been that way. I love this team but I’m not like most of you and I’m not like most fans. I separate myself from being a fan when I’m evaluating things. I can look at this team and see the flaws even when I go out to the stadium multiple times a year and cheer as loudly as everybody else does. I buy all the World Series gear and was in line at midnight in 2015 with hundreds of others… but at the same time I can look at them and understand that we were honestly pretty damn lucky.

I’m the one that back in 1997 begged this team to move to the NL because I felt it was the best move for them at the time and still feel that way. But I’m also the one that looks at them right now and going forward and sees all the issues they’re going to have in remaining competitive because of the nature of Dayton Moore to not be honest about where the team is.

So being over .500 is “good” now? 90 wins is a better threshold, IMO, but the issue you run into there is that normally it is partially a function of how bad a team or two are in the division are, not the competitive balance as a whole. So, if you have two real stinkers in there you beat up on, you and the other two in the division can get a lot of wins. But that isn’t that you were great, but that two teams were basically in the tank.

Also, I agree with you that if we were in a different division we might not have had the success that we had. The issue is, if it were the NL like you suggest, we’d be up against the likes of the Cards, Pirates and Cubs for the last two decades, all of which have had better teams in a given year than what has come out of the AL Central. I fail to see how it would be better for the team to have been in a division with those franchises that have consistently produced dominant teams.

• May 4, 2017 at 4:50 pm

We have no idea what we would or wouldn’t be in the NL Central and it’s all wishing and wanting at this time. I don’t necessarily think the Cubs or Pirates have been tremendously better than us over the course of the past 20 years but either way it doesn’t mean we would have been good or bad.

For the most part we’ve been owned by the Tigers, Twins, Indians and White Sox over the years in the AL Central.

What I do know is that if we were playing the Cubs, Cards and Pirates each and every year compared to thw Twins, Tigers, White Sox and Indians our attendance would certainly be hundreds of thousands better per year…. and we wouldn’t be paying for a stupid DH that never does much good for us.

Also I wasn’t saying that over .500 was good, I was making the comparison of how other divisions have been over the years compared to ours. The fact that the East and West consistently have teams over .500 and consistently put 2 and many times 3 teams in the playoffs just shows how much better they are and how overwhelmingly bad we have been to not even compete in a weak division all those years.

• May 4, 2017 at 11:55 pm

Rangers need starting pitching.

Yohander Mendez and Leody Taveras are 2 I’d ask about.

The Astros are also still looking for a front line starter which I don’t know if they’d consider Vargas or Kennedy a front line guy… I guess it depends on what else is out there (Jose Quintana). I can’t see the team trading Duffy although that would make the most sense and get the biggest haul.

I like Francis Martes a lot. Kyle Tucker, Derek Fisher, Teoscar Hernandez are 3 other names I’d ask about. You could throw Daz Cameron in there as well although I think his defense is ahead of his bat. Don’t let them fool you about Colin Moran, I don’t see it with him at all.

• May 6, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Mellinger is going to be a popular guy around the K.

If Sam had good sources it sounds like some in organization believe in aggressive sell-off.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article149080414.html

• May 7, 2017 at 5:39 pm

At this point I’ve got to think a fire sale is the best course of action. The core doesn’t matter. If this group can’t score runs, there’s no point in keeping them around. Sentiment be damned.

• May 7, 2017 at 5:51 pm

@dgambill said: If this group can’t score runs, there’s no point in keeping them around.

Seems so obvious don’t it?

The G.M. who probably earns more in one year than most of us will earn in a lifetime just has to reach the same conclusion. Funny world, eh?

• May 7, 2017 at 6:47 pm

I’d like to keep as much of the rotation together as possible, and as for the position players the only two I wouldn’t add hop at this point are Perez and Soler. Gordon is staying put just because no one is going to take that contract.