• April 26, 2017 at 8:55 pm

10 games in 10 days, starting tomorrow evening.
    3 against the Twins, 4 against the Sox and then 1st series of the year against the division favorite.

Seems ridiculous that season could be effectively over by May 7th next Sunday but math suggests it would be. With a 7-14 start we would have to go 83-58 to finish with 90 wins. Almost .600 winning percent the rest of the way.

I would love to see this team start playing good ball and run off a winning streak.

Would it be better to lose though and start transition? I don’t think I could watch much of a “pretender” season where we lag behind and the organization keeps trying to bullshit everybody.

• April 27, 2017 at 11:46 am

No week in April is do or die. Failures now are precursors to future failures, not final nails in the coffin.

• April 27, 2017 at 10:39 pm

My thoughts are that eventually the offensive production should see some positive regression, which should usher in a win streak that would get the team back to at least .500. I also think management will wait for Soler to join the club and play a stretch of 10-15 games before deciding what route to take.

What does a rebuild look like any way? I would think it would involve trades of Homer, Colon (just to get him out of the way), Escobar, Moss, Cain, and some bullpen arms. Hopefully the rotation stays intact, Moose gets an extension and I don’t see them trading Perez, Gordon, or Soler. Mondesi would become the SS, Nerrifield 2B, Gordon, Bonifacio, and Soler would comprise the outfield. O’Hearn would assumingly be the new 1B, so who would DH? If I had my way, Gordon would play 1B, and Orlando would join Bonifacio and Soler in the OF, making O’Hearn the DH. I’m sure Cuthbert can play 1B as well.

The off-season will be interesting. Hopefully Kennedy doesn’t opt out and Moose resigns. I’m not against bringing Cain back, but I’m ready to say goodbye to Homer and Escobar. I also think Dyson could be inline for a return.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to tear them apart.

• April 28, 2017 at 8:01 am

@dgambill said:
    My thoughts are that eventually the offensive production should see some positive regression, which should usher in a win streak that would get the team back to at least .500. I also think management will wait for Soler to join the club and play a stretch of 10-15 games before deciding what route to take.

What does a rebuild look like any way? I would think it would involve trades of Homer, Colon (just to get him out of the way), Escobar, Moss, Cain, and some bullpen arms. Hopefully the rotation stays intact, Moose gets an extension and I don’t see them trading Perez, Gordon, or Soler. Mondesi would become the SS, Nerrifield 2B, Gordon, Bonifacio, and Soler would comprise the outfield. O’Hearn would assumingly be the new 1B, so who would DH? If I had my way, Gordon would play 1B, and Orlando would join Bonifacio and Soler in the OF, making O’Hearn the DH. I’m sure Cuthbert can play 1B as well.

The off-season will be interesting. Hopefully Kennedy doesn’t opt out and Moose resigns. I’m not against bringing Cain back, but I’m ready to say goodbye to Homer and Escobar. I also think Dyson could be inline for a return.

Danny, Maybe you should start dedicated thread to this topic. With a sticky.
    Obviously this is THE BIG general question facing the Royals.

From where I sit (which is far far from where decisions are made) I think Dayton needs to revamp front office with more analytics savy perople in charge of scouting and player development AND team coaches.
    Doubt he is the man to do it though. Too old school himself.
    Maybe Glass still has the business brains to step up put a new guy in charge.

To me the Royals top leadership looks like an inept old boys network.

• April 28, 2017 at 1:03 pm

@dgambill said:

My one big question would be why you just assume that our hitting will all of a sudden get better but our pitching would stay the same. Every offense in the league minus a handful of teams is horrible right now. Even Denny Mathews has made this point on 610 when those idiots keep wanting to say the Royals offense stinks, without the included caveat that most offenses stink right now. He says it’s not us, it’s baseball in general. Most every team isn’t hitting at this time. Eventually they probably will… or it will be a down year and if that’s the case it’s not like the Royals have some special studs in their lineup that are going to make them better than most everybody else.

So while it’s possible our hitting improves, it’s actually way more likely our starting pitching isn’t nearly this good… which means that we’re still no better than a.500 club if even that at this moment.

• April 28, 2017 at 10:57 pm

My current mood on keeping this group together.

Because Royals™
    2015 GDT record: 5-1

• April 29, 2017 at 7:11 am

@dgambill said:
    What does a rebuild look like any way? I would think it would involve trades of Homer, Colon (just to get him out of the way), Escobar, Moss, Cain, and some bullpen arms.

My 2 cents is that when the Royals decide to sell that there should be no untouchables. See what people are willing to offer for a Duffy, Herrera, or Salvy. We might get lucky and find some G.M. willing to give up some really valuable prospects.

Royals seem to be concerned with putting a “winning” team on field in 2018 which I think will mean Royals will trade for “less talented but major league ready” talent, and not more talented lower level prospects.
    (Gotta say though that I have little faith in Royals curent player evaluation process – or personnel – acquiring Brandon Moss killed whatever faith I had left in me.)

• April 30, 2017 at 2:49 am

They need to blow it up as soon as they get the right deal for anyone on the roster. Good teams find ways to win games and bad ones find ways to lose them. We are a very bad team and if we did accidently go on a winning streak, then it would be nothing more than a mirage.

• April 30, 2017 at 6:01 am

@afroyal said:
    They need to blow it up as soon as they get the right deal for anyone on the roster. Good teams find ways to win games and bad ones find ways to lose them. We are a very bad team and if we did accidently go on a winning streak, then it would be nothing more than a mirage.

Interesting rumor circulating about Nats being interested in Herrera.
    If that is true I hope that Dayton asks about Robles. From what I have read Robles is the type of prospect we need in system.
    IMO Dayton should insist on Robles and see if any package would pry him away.
    Doubt Dayton would be willing to pull plug on 2017 team at this point but maybe if we keep losing now that the boys are home.

http://www.royalsreview.com/2017/4/29/15489380/nationals-reportedly-interested-in-kelvin-herrera

• April 30, 2017 at 8:18 am

Adam Eaton just blew out his knee for the Nats. Throw in Cain to the deal and get Robles+.

• April 30, 2017 at 1:19 pm

@southpaw1188 said:
    Adam Eaton just blew out his knee for the Nats. Throw in Cain to the deal and get Robles+.

Would 2 yrs of Herrera and 1yr of Cain be enough to get Robles?

• April 30, 2017 at 1:52 pm

@gene said:
    Would 2 yrs of Herrera and 1yr of Cain be enough to get Robles?

For a team that’s desperate to win? Probably. Hell I’d ask for Robles and either Fedde or AJ Cole myself. The bigger question would be if they’re comfortable with Michael Taylor in center and they’re probably not which I think forces them to do some deal.

Here’s my honest assessment. I don’t think Herrera gets Robles alone… but I also think that Herrera and Cain are too much for Robles. It all depends on how much they like Taylor and how desperate they are.

• April 30, 2017 at 2:15 pm

@royalrich said:

Here’s my honest assessment. I don’t think Herrera gets Robles alone… but I also think that Herrera and Cain are too much for Robles. It all depends on how much they like Taylor and how desperate they are.

I think that Southpaw too thought Cain and Herrera should fetch more than just Robles. Judging from the + sign after his name in the post. Robles+
    I don’t know how desperate they are, but I would think they want to get deep into the post-season after all the hype around them the last two years.

• April 30, 2017 at 7:58 pm

So here’s the bigger issue and I’ll preface this by saying I’m not suggesting these guys are worthless but…..

This isn’t last year at the trade deadline. This isn’t last June when Hosmer was hitting .320 and looking like an All-Star should look.

Moose is the only guy really hitting the ball right now.

Yes, I know the idiots on the radio are saying that Cain is also but he’s not – at least not in comparison to other outfielders right now. He’s certainly not bad, but he’s certainly not good either. As of yesterday he was 28th in batting average, 11th in OBP (which is good) and 48th in slugging (that’s not good). So sure, he doesn’t suck but it’s not like you rave about those numbers.

Hosmer on the other hand is crap, you can’t spin what he’s doing.

So while you get something for Moose I think a lot of people still see him as a questionable baseball player. You’re not going to make a killing off him. While you get something for Cain, you’re not going to get a ton for 30-something center fielder that seems to have lost any semblance of power from his game. And what the hell would you get for 3 or 4 months of Hosmer at this point? Not even half what you would have got last year.

And therein lies the problem. Therein lies the absolutely horrible mistake that Dayton Moore made by not moving these guys when their value was through the roof and he had an opportunity to cash in and rebuild this franchise in 2 or 3 years compared to maybe 4 or 5.

Package Cain and Herrera now to the Nationals and get Robles and something. Send Hosmer to the Yankees and get Gleyber Torres and Greg Bird. Send Moose to the O’s, the Angels, the A’s or the Mets for a couple of prospects. And then start moving pitching…. Kennedy and Vargas are the first to go before they lose any value they have this season.

It can be done. A complete rebuild which brings in 3 or 4 good prospects and 3 or 4 other “b” type prospects and you’re not entirely unhappy this year. Watching these guys lose like this or even watching them slither back into the race only to miss out by 3 or 4 games at the end is useless. Useless and detrimental to this franchise.

• May 1, 2017 at 5:48 am

@royalrich said:
    It can be done. A complete rebuild which brings in 3 or 4 good prospects and 3 or 4 other “b” type prospects and you’re not entirely unhappy this year. Watching these guys lose like this or even watching them slither back into the race only to miss out by 3 or 4 games at the end is useless. Useless and detrimental to this franchise.

What you are suggesting makes good sense. It would be interesting to know if Dayton or ANYONE of Dayton’s key advisors are recommending the course of action.
    I would assume Groopman and the analytics group would suggest this.
    (I picture Groopman’s reports being used for paper airplanes – I mean how in the hell did we end up with three of the most useless free agents on the market this past winter?? – Sorry I digress)
    This team though might force his hand. Unless this team can put together a significant winning streak / record in May Dayton will set change course. My hunch is though that there will too much emphasis on putting W’s on the board in 2018-2019. Besides the “winning culture” objective I think Royals don’t want to see attendance – or viewership – drop significantly.