• December 12, 2017 at 9:26 am

For the record here is what the man is quoted to have said in the last 24hrs.
    (by Flanigan and Dodd.)
    There is so much to ridicule here. 😀

“We are where we are, so everything we do has to be centered around: ‘How do we build our farm system?’ ”

“We have to build our farm system at the level we had it in 2010, that is the focus of this organization as we sit here today.”

“What we’re going to do looking forward is to build our farm system and win for 10-15 years without going through the winning and losing cycles, like we just did. That’s our mission.”
    Those are the guys you have to move to multiply the return for our farm system. “Everything we do has to be centered around building our farm system. Any deal we do has to be predicated on will it save us money and get back players to build our farm system.

“You have to trade players with high value to get maximum return.”

“We’re going to look to trim payroll — not because [owner] David Glass is telling us to do that. “But it’s like buying a house or going to college — you save your money so you can use those resources later, like in 2020 and 2021 for us. We got to a World Series with a $96 million payroll, won a championship with a $120 million payroll. Then, we won 81 [games] with a $140 million payroll, and won 80 with a $150 million payroll.”

“We’ve been through this before and we’re better prepared intellectually and grit-wise to do it again.

Flannigan’s piece here;
    https://www.mlb.com/royals/news/royals-look-to-restock-farm-system-at-meetings/c-263289964
    Dodd’s piece here
    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansas-city-royals/

• December 13, 2017 at 12:36 am

Ummmm… so this is what I get from all that.

I’m stupid. I have no idea what I’m doing. We won with luck and lost when we spent money. We’re absolutely rebuilding but I’m not going to say it. We want to win and know we have to be smart about it…. but I’m not smart. We know we should have made moves to maximize player value but we didn’t so I’m pretty stupid. Trust me, I’ll be better.

Nah. I don’t trust you, Dayton. Never have. Never will. Basically you just said all the stuff that I was saying about being smart and making good moves, but you did none of that. Instead you played with your heart and made moves based on your feelings and concerns for fans and you fucked up. You sank this franchise. You did nothing that you just said you wanted to do. Win for 10-15 years? Yeah I said that’s what we wanted. Instead you won for THREE seasons and the idiot fans in this town think you’re a genius. You had your chance, you failed miserably.

• December 13, 2017 at 6:32 am

Is there anyone in K.C. sports media who has any access to the Royal’s – ***OXYMORON ALERT*** “brain trust.”?

Clearly some major discussions have taken place within the inner group.

As a fan I find it so frustrating that K.C. reporters have nothing insightful to share.

• December 13, 2017 at 9:24 am

@royalrich said:
    Ummmm… so this is what I get from all that.

I’m stupid. I have no idea what I’m doing. We won with luck and lost when we spent money. We’re absolutely rebuilding but I’m not going to say it. We want to win and know we have to be smart about it…. but I’m not smart. We know we should have made moves to maximize player value but we didn’t so I’m pretty stupid. Trust me, I’ll be better.

Nah. I don’t trust you, Dayton. Never have. Never will. Basically you just said all the stuff that I was saying about being smart and making good moves, but you did none of that. Instead you played with your heart and made moves based on your feelings and concerns for fans and you fucked up. You sank this franchise. You did nothing that you just said you wanted to do. Win for 10-15 years? Yeah I said that’s what we wanted. Instead you won for THREE seasons and the idiot fans in this town think you’re a genius. You had your chance, you failed miserably.

Or……

Moore is saying that using a deliberative process and building internally, I got the franchise to the two WS. To keep us there I tried to spend more money in FA – and that didn’t work. It wasn’t through spending a bunch of money or the level of the payroll that we won, it was because we did things slowly over several years through the farm system.

He came here to the WM hoping that Hosmer’s market would be driven down because of the conflicting metrics on his worth and Moore could keep some of the band together. Then Stanton gets moved to the Yankees and the Red Sox are going to spend, probably on Hosmer. The Royals will never compete with that (and arguably shouldn’t try). He is changing gears to being a seller. Right now he is telling all the other GMs they are selling and listening on anyone, which is to get people offering on Duffy and Perez. I honestly would not be surprised to see one of those two moved here in the next couple weeks. I certainly think that our bullpen arms that are expense go somewhere to free up payroll.

The tank is coming. Just don’t complain when they don’t win, because you are getting the tanking you so desire.

• December 15, 2017 at 9:30 pm

Never, not once, in all the time you’ve known me have you ever heard me complain about losing. I don’t mind losing if there is a purpose.

It’s when there is no purpose or no plan or just complete and utter bullshit coming from the team about the state of the franchise like in 2003 and 2004 that I complain about.

And I complain about stupid moves, most of which get proven to be stupid.

But losing? No, I don’t care.

I do care when we don’t make smart moves like I said. Not moving Hosmer, Cain and Moose wasn’t smart. So now you’re faced with basically having no choice but to tank or play for .500 with a shell of a team until draft picks catch up.

• December 16, 2017 at 7:35 am

You assume the return by trading those guys would have been better than what comes in the draft. Last deadline, I don’t know if that is true unless you know something about Boog Powell I don’t.

• December 18, 2017 at 9:13 am

Point of fact but I made it very clear that I would have traded them 2 years ago at the deadline. And yes I can quite confidently say that no matter how much Dayton would have screwed that up, it still would have been better than whatever he’s going to get in a comp pick.