• December 28, 2014 at 8:10 am

I am getting pretty close to chucking my current employment, jumping in my 1992 Dodge Camper and going on an extended travel / vacation. (probably 4-5 months on the road)

Was thinking of traveling through some of the most beautiful states in the West. Wanted to know peoples opinions on “can’t miss” minor-league ballparks. Thanks for any advice you folks can provide.

• December 28, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I can only speak to major league stadiums, but SF has a really cool one. Walking behind RF and having the cove on one side and the field on the other is pretty awesome. Don’t know how big the camper is, but I’d probably suggest riding the BART into that game if you do it. The Angels have a pretty ho hum stadium. It is nice, but there isn’t anything all that great or unique about it.

I have family that go to games in Fresno and seem to love it. Haven’t been myself, so I can’t vouch for anything other than they say they enjoy the games.

• December 29, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Gene: I lived in Southern California from 2003-2011. Here are my thoughts:

Minor League:

Lake Elsinore. Great Stadium. Way too nice for a single A team. I lived about 9 miles down the road from here and went 10 or so times a year. Beautiful stadium, crappy food. REALLY crappy food.

Inland Empire (San Bernardino) Shithole. Rough area. Fun place to catch a game in the daytime. May get shot by gang members afterward.

Rancho Cucamonga Decent Park. Nice atmosphere. No complaints.

High Desert (Victorville area Adelanto) Basically a high school ball field in the middle of the desert. No redeeming qualities. Wind blows like crazy. Saw Billy Butler play there.

Petco: Absolutely gorgeous. Can usually walk up and get great seats at any time. Right on the harbor and in downtown SD. I worked in SD for years and had the pleasure of working with the Padres for their fan fests. Absolutely class organization. You won’t find a better atmosphere. Grab a beer at one of the 100 bars in the gas lamp district, then watch the game, then ride the trolley home. Very good time.

Angel Stadium: Traffic sucks to get there. Right by Disney and Knotts Berry Farm. Across the street from the pond. You can tell it was built by the same people as the K. Not a bad seat in the house including the OF seats. Did I mention traffic was horrible? Cheap Parking, cheap food, and cheap souvenirs. I enjoyed going there.

Dodger Stadium: Dude fuck that place. Native Californians rave about dodger dogs. They are fucking horrible. Its a foot long hot dog on a six inch bun. They taste like someone shit on a hot dog bun, microwaved it, and poured some mustard on hit. The parking lots are dark even with increased lighting/security. I concealed carried whenever I went. I couldn’t imagine going to a night game without some kind of sidearm on me. My wife refused to go there after the Stowe beating. I’d steer clear.

• December 30, 2014 at 11:05 am

Nothing to add except my hats off to you. 4-5 months on the road watching ball games would suit me right down the to ground.

First Royalboarder to call for Dayton Moore to be fired. 4/29/2010.

First RBNer to call for Dayton Moore to be fired. 6/20/2014

• December 30, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Hey Frank, Thanks for the reviews…..all good to know. Lake Elsinore will definitely be on the list. Check it out looks like a great place.
    Your review of Dodger Dogs made me laugh. All these years I have listened to Vin Scully singing its praises. Had me fooled. 😀

DH, I started doing shorter 2-3 week baseball trips with my son and grandson two years. Life doesn’t get any better 😀 Seen all kinds of great parks and good baseball. Lot of good smaller town and rural life. Everything from summer college leagues and Independent League on up. Anyone coming East should check out the Cape Cod League.

• December 30, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Go to surpise in Arizona. Watch practice behind the park for free in the morning, start drinking at the break and critique some swings (the batting cages are part of the outdoor concourse in Surprise Stadium) and enjoy whatever seat you want for the game.

Know how to spot a first timer? he wanders around saying this is like heaven for me, man.

ohh the stadium ahh it’s fine nothing really awesome about it. decent food, decent beers.

• January 1, 2015 at 11:41 pm

The stadium in surprise really is nice been there s couple of times

GDT Record: 4-0

• January 4, 2015 at 9:14 pm

I grew up going to Dodger Stadium… my review of it and of Dodger Dogs would be quite different. To each their own.

However, Petco and ATT Park are much nicer… if for no other reason than their atmosphere and surroundings.

• January 5, 2015 at 7:47 am

Don’t miss Coors Field here in Denver. One of the classic throwback stadiums and spectacular view of the front range from the first base line. Bad team, tho!

I too like Dodger stadium. Last time I was there it felt in need of attention, but there is some ancient charm to the place, kind of like Wrigley and Fenway.

AT&T is also a must see.

If you’re in Phoenix in March, there are a bunch to see including Hohokam, Maryvale and Tempe Diablo that are old school and of course as others have mentioned Surprise and Salt River are gems.

I envy you, this sounds like great fun.

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes, it rains." Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh