• January 8, 2018 at 11:16 am

but so what?

I can’t remember ever being less enthused about a new baseball season starting.
    Am not especially excited about anybody likely to be among the 25 to head north.

Am interested to see a few of the younger propects play but that is about it.

• January 8, 2018 at 11:37 am

Even as someone less down on the team than most, I’m pretty ambivalent right now about spring training. I think that is mostly because the ship is rudderless right now. It’s not clear how the team is rebuilding, so it is impossible what emotion to feel about the team. Mad that we overpaid to win 75 games? Excited about all the new faces because we are in year one of the rebuild? Until some clarity exists about the team, I guess I’ll feel “meh” like you about the team.

• January 9, 2018 at 8:45 pm

@southpaw1188 said:
    Even as someone less down on the team than most, I’m pretty ambivalent right now about spring training. I think that is mostly because the ship is rudderless right now. It’s not clear how the team is rebuilding, so it is impossible what emotion to feel about the team. Mad that we overpaid to win 75 games? Excited about all the new faces because we are in year one of the rebuild? Until some clarity exists about the team, I guess I’ll feel “meh” like you about the team.

That’s pretty much exactly how I feel. And I feel even less “down” than you do because I honestly don’t care about losing 100 games if that were even to be the case. But as I’ve said before I want there to be a CLEAR reason why we’re losing 100 games and a CLEAR path to not losing.

As of right now I don’t think anybody in this town knows what the reasons behind anything being done are… or the path we’re taking. And I honestly believe that might include Dayton Moore as well.

Are we tanking? Dayton said he’d never do that… and then said maybe he would after meeting with Glass. Are we rebuilding? Dayton has said he doesn’t like total rebuilds, he wants to remain “competitive”. But remaining competitive while not really competing isn’t a true path either. Plus we are obviously in the Hoz sweepstakes… doesn’t sound like tanking or rebuilding to me.

So that’s the issue. We’re in January and nobody knows what the hell they’re looking at with this team come this year. We could be looking at one thing today and 3 or 4 guys that we think will be here could be gone by spring training. Or we could have acquired Hoz and another starter and another reliever and being told that they’re going for it this season.

It’s no wonder that as I talk with people.. friends and family and others.. that nobody really seems all that excited or even content with this team or direction right now.

• January 10, 2018 at 7:31 am

So reading your post leaves me with two thoughts. First, I don’t think that the lack of clarity fully falls on Moore. The entire league is not acting right now. Yes, Hosmer and the Royals are part of this, but pretty much nobody is signing deals for anyone right now. Dominoes will fall quickly because they have to at this point or players won’t have teams, but that is league-wide.

Second, I’m not sure it matters if people are excited in January. Most fans need a break. Those that can go year round don’t need to be excited to follow the team.

Returning to why nobody is making a move – it is probably the fault of the CBA. All the teams that spend and go over the luxury tax get hit at 50% next year if they don’t go under $187MM. So, the Dodgers, Yankees, etc. are all trying to get under that amount so they get hit at 20% and can spend like crazy with next years FA class and save a 30% penalty. So, a lot of money that goes to FA traditionally isn’t being spent. And it is A LOT of money. If three teams go up to $230MM instead spend down to $187, that is $129MM AAV not being spent. So basically it is like the Royals worth of money is not being spent. Don’t be surprised if the next CBA the players really fight a floating luxury tax.

• January 10, 2018 at 1:08 pm

@southpaw1188 said:
    Returning to why nobody is making a move – it is probably the fault of the CBA. All the teams that spend and go over the luxury tax get hit at 50% next year if they don’t go under $187MM. So, the Dodgers, Yankees, etc. are all trying to get under that amount so they get hit at 20% and can spend like crazy with next years FA class and save a 30% penalty. So, a lot of money that goes to FA traditionally isn’t being spent. And it is A LOT of money. If three teams go up to $230MM instead spend down to $187, that is $129MM AAV not being spent. So basically it is like the Royals worth of money is not being spent.

Also, analytics must be playing a role. More smart G.M.’s not willing to pay more that what their analytics department says players are worth…..especially when going into thier thirties.
    The days of the crazy bidding “auctions” might be nearing an end.
    HA! Just when our Royals core his free agency.
    Bet the players will try like hell to change the CBA rules so that they can become free agents in their mid twenties.

• January 11, 2018 at 1:59 am

While it’s true that a flurry of deals haven’t been made – and by this point in most seasons at least a few have been done already – I think you can look around and most teams (in fact pretty much all of them) besides the Royals and know what their intentions are. You might not know exactly what players some teams are going after as they play the waiting game but you know who’s going to buy and who’s trying to move guys.

You have absolutely zero clue with the Royals. None. They say one thing and then do another and then do one thing and say another. Dayton has himself laid out every scenario under the sun since the end of last season. Every single one. Contend, rebuild, tank, play it safe, slow-rebuild… etc etc etc.

Typically – and I mean like almost always – you don’t get in to January and have no clue what your favorite team is going to do the next season. Honestly, that’s scary. It truly is like they don’t know. And it’s January…. and they don’t know.

Either that or they can’t be straight with the fans – even the media has asked and can’t get straight answsers – and just tell us what the hell is going on.