The Royals were mocked in the off-season for their moves, but out to an impressive start, it’s clear that teams could learn a thing or two from Kansas City’s free-agency pickups.
- [Heyman] Yankees and pirates are continuing to talk about Gerrit Cole. Clint Frazier would likely be part of package, if it happens.
- TIL that when Ichiro learned the Mariners were going to give him #51, the same number worn by Randy Johnson, he sent Johnson a personal message promising not to "bring shame" to the uniform. He went on to win MVP that season.
- The Phillies now have Carlos Santana and Rob Thomson.
- [Passan] The consensus on Carlos Santana's $60M deal with the Phillies: It bodes awfully well for free agent hitters. Santana is four years older than Eric Hosmer. A seven-year, $175M ask no longer seems beyond the pale. Good news for Logan Morrison and other available first basemen, too.
- [Moura] The donkey Joey Votto purchased for Zack Cozart remained in Cincinnati since the summer, while Cozart went home. "Now that I can start looking for some land,” Cozart said, "I’ll officially be a donkey owner."
- [Bowden] According to multiple sources all 30 MLB teams are expected to receive a payment of approximately $50 million dollars in the first quarter of 2018 for the previous sale of BAM. #MLB
- [Bollinger] Fernando Rodney confirms the Twins told him he’ll be their closer this season. Said he picked Minnesota because they have good chance to win with young core. Knows Ervin Santana well.
- [Rosenthal] Cozart will play third base for #Angels. Reported their interest yesterday. This ends any chance of them signing free agent Mike Moustakas.
- [Fletcher] The #Angels have signed Zack Cozart to a three-year deal. More to come.
- TIL in 1954, NY Yankees owner Dan Topping had a business friend buy the Philadelphia A's and move the team to Kansas City. The two teams then engaged in a 6 year series of trades, with almost every trade greatly favoring the Yankees. During this time, the A’s were a virtual farm team of the Yankees.
- [Heyman] Sources: phillies agree to deal with Carlos Santana
- Who will be 2018's biggest flop?
- [Fletcher] Source: #Angels have talked to Pirates about Josh Harrison.
- Mo Vaughn is 50 years old today, so MLB.com posted a video of him hitting a 500 foot homerun...
- Why is it controversial to point out that Chris Sale falls off towards the end of the season?